St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Respiratory Care Practitioner II - Cardiopulmonary Services in Eureka, California
We are looking for a Respiratory Care Practitioner II for the Cardiopulmonary Services Department at St. Joseph Hospital Eureka.
Location: Eureka, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12-hour, Nights
The Respiratory Care Practitioner employs intellectual, interpersonal and technical skills to assist patients of various ages in achieving maximum health potential. The RCP functions as a health team member through independent, interdependent and dependent roles within the health care system. Serving as the patient's advocate, the RCP assumes responsibility and accountability for care of patients of various ages as defined by the department scope of service. The RCP performs diagnostic and therapeutic cardiopulmonary procedures and related activities according to department standards. Serves as customer service representative to patients, their families, the public, and the medical staff.
Age Specific Needs:
• Demonstrates competency in age specific skills for patients: Neonate/infant, Child, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric patients.
• Incorporates physical, motor/sensory adaptation, cognitive, psychosocial factors into care (e.g., behavior inconsistent with developmental stage, medications, equipment, educational needs, abuse/neglect, communication, etc.).
• Conducts problem-oriented assessments according to standards. Including patient interviews, physical examinations, referencing a patient's health history, obtaining a patient's family history, and general observation.
• Correlates assessment data and interprets findings to identify individual patient needs and problems.
• Contributes to the plan of care in collaboration with the patient and the health care team.
• The plan of care ensures cardiopulmonary care provides for patient safety, comfort, protection, and restorative measures to an optimum level of health for each age group.
• Develops and updates patient plan of cardiopulmonary care based on patient condition, age, developmental status and progress, involving the patient, significant others, and health team members.
• Organizes interventions based on clinical priorities.
• Plan of care includes interventions that are individualized and age appropriate to the patient.
• Interventions are established as part of a goal directed plan or in response to unplanned events, i.e. rapid response activation.
• Interventions include educating patients and families to promote recovery and wellness during hospitalization and are directed toward self-care at discharge.
Evaluation: Evaluates and responds to patients changing needs for all levels of care and during unplanned events, i.e. Code Blue, RRT Activation.
• Resource Utilization:
◦ Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are readily available for patient use.
◦ Ventilator turn around and safety checks completed prior to use.
◦ Respiratory equipment preventive maintenance complete and on schedule.
• Patient experience:
◦ Facilitates interdepartmental and intradepartmental problem solving and collaboration.
◦ Effectively communicates significant findings and situations to the appropriate person. Keeps director informed, in a timely manner, of any unusual concerns, situations or conditions relative to staff, patients, families, physicians.
◦ Participates in performance improvement activities within organization and cardiopulmonary department.
◦ Participates in quality monitoring activities within organization and cardiopulmonary department.
◦ Documents all scheduled and PRN interventions.
◦ Documents all assessments, interventions, evaluations, education, and planning.
◦ Participates in providing a clean, comfortable environment for customers.
◦ Takes appropriate precautions to ensure safety, i.e. appropriate use of PPE.
◦ Effectively and competently responds to urgent/emergent situations.
◦ Organizes, prioritizes, and completes activities and assignments in an efficient, effective, and safe manner.
◦ Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing within scope of practice.
◦ Delegate’s tasks based on the legal scope of practice.
◦ All billable procedure are documented in the medical record as appropriate.
Reads and interprets written materials such as prescriptions, physician’s orders, policies and procedures, safety regulations, and equipment operating instructions. Interprets a variety of instructions presented in written, verbal, diagram, or other schedule format.
Writes routine reports, notes and memoranda. Speaks and writes effectively.
Applies basic arithmetic and algebraic concepts, such as proportions, percentages and simple equations, with a high degree of accuracy.
Solves practical problems and deals effectively with situations where only limited standardization exists.
Concentrates on details in a busy and distracting environment.
Basic computer skills related to equipment operation and simple data entry are essential.
Staff members who treat patients of a specific age group must be aware of the regulatory and accreditation requirements specific to that population
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Graduate of a program in respiratory therapy approved by the Committee on Allied Health Education & Accreditation of the American Medical Association.
Experience: 2 years Full time hospital based acute care Respiratory Care Practitioner experience that includes Critical Care, Emergency Department, Medical Surgical, Telemetry, Child Birth Center, Nursery, Neonatal ICU, and PACU. Current RCP’s with certification and experience meet requirement for role.
Registered Respiratory Therapist is required for newly hired RCP’s.
State of California Respiratory Care Practitioner license.
Current BLS completion.
Department specific certifications are required on hire or within 6 months. These include: ACLS, PALS, and NRP
National Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's Most Scenic Rural County."
It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital, located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit.
Redwood Memorial Hospital is located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt County. Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine.
To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Humboldt County Entities
Category: Respiratory Therapists
Req ID: R334851
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
- St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Jobs