St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Lab Assistant - Clinical Laboratory in Eureka, California
We are looking for a Laboratory Assistant – (NUHW) National Union of Healthcare Workers with Clinic Laboratory Department at St. Joseph Hospital Eureka. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Location: Eureka, California
Schedule: On call/Per diem
Shift: 10 hour, Days
Under the general supervision of the Phlebotomy Supervisor and the Director of Laboratory Services, the Clinical Lab Assistant I performs routine non-technical, manual, and a moderate amount of technical work in the medical laboratory. Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a clean and sanitary condition. Carries out related tasks as required.
Staff members who treat patients of a specific age group must be aware of the JCAHO requirements for that population. The specific information and skills related to the position presented in this job description will be related to the following age group populations: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
- Specimen Collection:
• Performs phlebotomy, venous, and capillary with skill and in a timely fashion. Phlebotomy may be performed in an inpatient, outpatient or house call environment. Is competent in phlebotomy for all age groups including: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
• Collects other samples such as urine and throat swabs as appropriate for the work area. Is competent in other specimens for all age groups including: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
• Identifies patients correctly 100% of the time.
- Specimen Processing:
• Processes blood, urine and other samples in preparation for analysis in the Hospital Lab, Clinical Lab, or Microbiology.
• Prepares samples for send-out to a reference lab.
Information System: Inputs patient information into the Laboratory Information System.
Reports: Patient reports are printed, sorted and delivery assured on time and per the schedule.
• Resource Utilization: Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective manner.
• Safety: Helps to provide a clean, comfortable environment for customers and others by taking appropriate safety precautions and responds to urgent safety situations effectively.
◦ Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments in an efficient manner.
◦ Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing other duties based on skill level and training orientation.
• Quality Improvement Program: Participates in department problem solving, suggests improvements, and facilitates changes.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to perform simple calculations.
Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education : H.S. Diploma or GED
Current CPT I issued by the State of California.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience : Laboratory, medical office or hospital experience.
License/Certification: Valid California Driver's License
National Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's Most Scenic Rural County."It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital, located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit.Redwood Memorial Hospital is located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt County.Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to medicine.To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Humboldt County Entities
Category: Phlebotomist & Lab Support
Req ID: R330508
St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health
- St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Jobs